IPhone; was: [ 770, N800, Gp2x, etc. ]

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 18:48:33 MST 2007

On 1/12/07, Jon M. Hanson <jon at the-hansons-az.net> wrote:

>  Joshua Zeidner wrote:
>

> On 1/12/07, Brant Evans <brant.evans at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > With which carriers would this work?
> > >
> > > http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5201088922.html
> > >

> > This is a GSM based phone so it would work on T-Mobile and Cingular
> > networks.
>

>   I believe it only works on Cingular( which is now a subsidiary of at&t
> ).  Actually this thing has become somewhat of a disappointment for the
> hacker crowd.  The hardware is nice, but its really just an uber-Treo.  I
> was hoping i could skype with it at hotspots, but it doesn't look like that
> will be possible.
>
>   -jmz
>
>      There were a lot of comments flying around Slashdot about how it
> wouldn't run third-party applications. I think that was misquoted or taken
> out of context. What Steve Jobs said was that (if you read the article that
> the Slashdot comments are referring to), in essence, Apple would allow
> outside developers to develop for the iPhone (or whatever it will be called)
> but Apple would have to sign-off on the applications after doing some
> extensive testing. In a way that's good. I have a Windows Mobile device and
> some of the third-party applications I have for it do make the applications
> and the phone more unstable. I think Apple doesn't want to just have all of
> these applications out there that affect the user experience thereby making
> Apple look bad. They would be crazy to just close the phone off to all
> external applications.

  Hi Brant,

   While it does make some sense from a QA perspective to restrict free
development of apps, I tend to think that what this reserved right will be
used for is to preserve the business model of Cingular.  Even though the
hardware could allow for a skype-phone functionality, it doesn't seem likely
that the software will be available on the grounds that it is a danger to
the cell network.  It will probably be the best smart-phone to date, but not
much more.

  Another important note is that this phone also has the capacity to report
back to some service about what songs are present on the iPod( both legal
and not ), and i am sure this is a valuable asset to the recording industry.

   What was most interesting to me is how out of place the CEO of Cingular
looked at the Apple Keynote.  Maybe this is the beginning of an antagonistic
relationship.

  -jmz

--
.0000. communication.
.0001. development.

JOSHUA M. ZEIDNER
IT Consultant

++power; ++perspective; ++possibilities;
( 602 ) 490 8006
jjzeidner at gmail.com