770, N800, Gp2x, etc.

Jon M. Hanson jon at the-hansons-az.net
Fri Jan 12 18:30:29 MST 2007

Joshua Zeidner wrote:

> On 1/12/07, *Brant Evans* <brant.evans at gmail.com
> <mailto:brant.evans at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     > With which carriers would this work?
>     >
>     > http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5201088922.html
>     >

>     This is a GSM based phone so it would work on T-Mobile and
>     Cingular networks.
>

>   I believe it only works on Cingular( which is now a subsidiary of
> at&t ).  Actually this thing has become somewhat of a disappointment
> for the hacker crowd.  The hardware is nice, but its really just an
> uber-Treo.  I was hoping i could skype with it at hotspots, but it
> doesn't look like that will be possible.
>
>   -jmz
>

>     http://www.trolltech.com/products/qtopia/greenphone/greenphonespecs

> .0000. communication.
> .0001. development.
> .0010. strategy.
> .0100. appeal.
>
> JOSHUA M. ZEIDNER
> IT Consultant
>
> ++power; ++perspective; ++possibilities;
> ( 602 ) 490 8006
> jjzeidner at gmail.com <mailto:jjzeidner at gmail.com>

    There were a lot of comments flying around Slashdot about how it
wouldn't run third-party applications. I think that was misquoted or
taken out of context. What Steve Jobs said was that (if you read the
article that the Slashdot comments are referring to), in essence, Apple
would allow outside developers to develop for the iPhone (or whatever it
will be called) but Apple would have to sign-off on the applications
after doing some extensive testing. In a way that's good. I have a
Windows Mobile device and some of the third-party applications I have
for it do make the applications and the phone more unstable. I think
Apple doesn't want to just have all of these applications out there that
affect the user experience thereby making Apple look bad. They would be
crazy to just close the phone off to all external applications.

--
Jon M. Hanson (N7ZVJ)
Homepage:  http://the-hansons-az.net
Jabber IM: jon at the-hansons-az.net