Samba Domain and Standard Users -- Solved

Nathan Aubrey nathan at paysonlinux.org
Wed Jan 10 11:26:13 MST 2007

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 08:52, Nathan Aubrey wrote:
> I have a domain setup using samba and ldap. Everything works great, except
> for some permissions for users. When a non-admin user logs in he is not
> allowed to set a default mail or web browser, or any default app, and
> cannot even create shortcuts on the desktop from the start menu.
> Obviously I have missed something somewhere, but I cannot figure out what.
> Do I need to give each user local power user priveleges? This totally
> defeats the purpose of using any kind of domain control!
>
> Any comments?
>
> nathan

Power Users is a local group, and cannot be done over a domain controller.
I found an article that explains what you must do, and it is as I feared! You
have to add every user to the group. What this article suggests is adding the
domain users group to the local power users group, that way anyone who is
part of the domain users would be given power users.
There are some people I can think of that I don't want power users, so his
machine will not get this wonderful change, but it must be made to each users
pc.

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2003-July/071048.html

If you know a better solution, please let me know.

nathan

PaysonLinux User Group
Community Based Linux Support
http://www.paysonlinux.org/

Business Consulting Services,
Advanced Network and Server Design,
Security Solutions,
Process Management and Efficiency Consultations

      _   _____   ______  ___   ___   ______
     | | | ____| / _____| | |   | |  / _____|
  _  | | |  ___| \____  \ | |   | |  \____  \
  \___/  |_____| |_____/  |_______|  |_____/

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him
from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
          < Romans 10:9 KJV >