firefox extensions gone, Ubuntu update

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Thu Jan 4 15:05:54 MST 2007

Am 04. Jan, 2007 schwätzte Dazed_75 so:

> I think you actually made the argument that they ARE mutually exclusive.  At

Hmm, not the point I was trying to make.

Default to a direct connection to the Internet or automagically detected
proxy.

Then, for those of us that need to use several proxies, need to be able to
turn them on and off and whatever, have an advanced menu where I can
enable those config sections.

ciao,

der.hans

> [...]
>> update one or two, but wasn't expecting them to disappear entirely.
>>
>> > Jery, I am beginning to suspect that a part of M$ success and some of
>> the
>> > changing directions in Linux is because a LOT of people WANT to be
>> stupid
>> > when it comes to computers.  What I want is the ability to make the
>> choices
>> > and that is the rub since so many people want the "freedom" not to have
>> > make choices.  The bad thing is that the two approaches are almost
>> mutually
>>
>> I think they aren't mutually exclusive.
>>
>> > exclusive.  To service the ones who want to be "stupid about computers"
>> it
>> > is necessary to shield them even from the fact there is a choice to
>> make.
>> > If you don't do that you will not appeal to the masses.  If you do it
>> you
>> > annoy the techies for whom you have made choices without their consent.
>>
>> They need to sane defaults. It would also be nice if we had ways of
>> universally disabling certain mechanisms. The javascript preferences
>> are great. I'd also like to ban extensions from having network
>> connectivity, or at least from having network connectivity to someplace
>> other than the web page being viewed.
>>
>> > Maybe all OS's and applications need a Smart/Dumb button the user can
>> press
>> > anytime to expose/hide the option choices.  Ooooh, and the
>> > designer/developer job just got a bunch harder.  How about a
>> SmartER/DumbER
>> > button?  <wink>
>>
>> Software needs sane defaults with a simple interface. It also needs the
>> ability to get to a more detailed interface if you want it.
>>
>> Not everybody needs a way to disable the blink tag, but I'm betting most
>> of us on the list want to make sure it's dead :).
>>
>> Most people don't need a complex proxy setup, so no need to have that open
>> by default. For those of us who need it, there could be a mechanism to
>> enable more details.
>>
>> When it comes down to it we all need more complexity sometimes, but
>> generally we want it to at least work well by default. I have no interest
>> in getting to know the intricacies of what can be done with a word
>> processor, so I want OpenOffice.org to just work and to work securely.
>>
>> vim, OTOH, I want to be able to customize in 3 different languages and
>> have automatic adjustments based on the phase of the moon...
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans
>> --
>> #  https://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.CiscoLearning.org/
>> #  Join the League of Professional System Administrators
>> https://LOPSA.org/
>> #  "We should not be building surveillance technology into standards.
>> #  Law enforcement was not supposed to be easy.
>> #  Where it is easy, it's called a police state."  -- Jeff Schiller

#  "He read his obituary with confusion." -- Steven Meretzky