brochure project -- draft idea revised

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 4 10:42:44 MST 2007

I think it is pretty cool!

Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com> wrote: .
Taking into consideration the feedback on the first draft,
I made a few revisions and replaced the original with a new
draft using the same pdf file name.  But when I tried to
view it, the old one kept showing up.  I cleared cache and
tried deleting the old file before loading the new one, but
Acrobat Reader keeps showing the old file.  Konqueror and Xpdf
displayed the new file, but Acrobat Reader 7 (via Firefox)
keeps showing the old one.  How does one fix this problem?

Anyway, here is a link for the second draft:

     http://www.UpQuick.com/linux/brochure2.pdf

Here is an abbreviated recap of the initial feedback and some responses:

Eric Shubes wrote:
> Question mark missing after "Why Not Try Linux" on pg 1 col 1.
> #12 "simultaneously" isn't really true. "also" would fit.

Thanks Eric.  Both these items are now fixed.

Dazed wrote:
> Consider how it is folded to appreciate the arrangement.
> Depending on the target audience some of the 15 points might be
> rearranged: 1, 6, 11, 12, etc. Wonder about the Pentium Inside logo
> and how freely one can modify and use it.  Also the R symbol.

I added a note to explain the 3-fold and rearranged the 15 points.
See comments further below regarding the "Linux inside" logo.

Jon Hanson wrote:
> You shouldn't use that Intel-like logo. Companies have
> to defend trademarks or they will lose them and Intel will
> not like that unauthorized use of their trademark.

Using any form of a "Linux inside" graphic really should not be
a problem.

Google "Linux inside" (in quotes) and you will get 313,000 hits.
Do this under Google's "images" option and you will get 973 hits.
Take a look at the examples there and you will see hundreds of
different websites, publications, and paraphernalia with many
dozens of variations on this exact same "Linux inside" logo
imprinted and implemented in a myriad of different ways.

There are many dozens of different tee-shirts, polo shirts, coffee
mugs, badges, emblems, and stickers with "Linux inside" to use on
one's computer, and it is even imprinted directly on many devices.
There are many, many dozens of variations on this exact same
"Intel-like" design.

So, if this were indeed a problem for Intel, it is pandemic. I have
several trademarks, some more than 30-years old, and the restrictions
on trademarks are such that it is virtually impossible to prevent the
kind of simulations that "Linux inside" represent.

Alan wrote:
> I prefer a more positive approach, meaning, less down-selling the
> competition and more up-selling of Linux. I'd also like more focus on
> explaining PLUG (Meeting descriptions, email lists, website, etc.) and
> the positives of participation in PLUG (community, support, fun, etc.)
> More pictures.  Needs a few graphics here and there.  Brochures full
> of text turn me off. I was thinking of the everyday person who just
> bought or is thinking of buying a computer with Linux on it. They look
> to the right at the Linux computer store and see a brochure about PLUG.
> What should that brochure say to maybe help make the Linux computer sale
> AND trigger involvement with PLUG?

Sorry you didn't like the approach, Alan.  I've made a few adjustments
and if you would like to provide some additional and/or alternate copy
and graphics, I'd be glad to incorporate whatever you (or anyone else)
might provide.

Keith Smith
A link from my website to yours
Submit Your Metro Phoenix Website