[PhxBUG] Networking

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 4 07:48:18 MST 2007

That would rock!  I think this is something we need.  It would be nice to put up on the site what books are available so members can reserver the book.  I'll get ahold of the web team.

I was a member of the Tucson Computer Society in the early 1990's.  They did not offer anything I really wanted or needed so I did not renew my membership.  They required a yearly membership which cost at the time about $35.00/yr.

In 2002 I joined again so I could be the Linux Sig lead because the lead had moved on.  Job conflicts caused me to discontinue being the Sig lead.

The Tucson Computer Society is more of a hobby group.  http://www.aztcs.org/

I am still a member of TFUG.

Keith

"der.hans" <PLUGd at LuftHans.com> wrote: Am 03. Jan, 2007 schwätzte keith smith so:

> I am not sure if I had mentioned it on this list or not .... The Tucson Computer Society gets free books with the agreement that someone will review the book and the review is published in their journal, used to be printer, and circulated to about 3000 members.  Of course this is 5 year old information.

Tucson computer society? Do you mean TFUG or something else?

We could get that type of deal with several publishers. We have to have
people willing to read the books and publish reviews. We also need a place
on the web site for them to publish the reviews.

> I think they used to publish a list of available titles and the ones selected were ordered and distributed.
>
> Is it possible to do something like that here at PLUG?  I would be interested in reviewing a couple of books a year for a couple of free books and the reviews could be posted to our soon to be new website.
>
> I would even volunteer to help with this.

Make sure the web team knows you need to be able to publish book reviews.
I can get you in touch with a couple of publishers.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators  https://LOPSA.org/
#  History is nothing but a collection of fables and useless trifles,
#  cluttered up with a mass of unnecessary figures and proper names.

Keith Smith
A link from my website to yours
Submit Your Metro Phoenix Website
http://mail.yahoo.com