Beeb

Trent Shipley trent_shipley at qwest.net
Wed Jan 3 21:52:30 MST 2007

My test play of the BBC finally worked.

I had to Google for a Linux sound How-To.  That led me to suspect alSa since I
always run KDE.  I found a check box to sleep alsa, but that didn't seem to
help.  Non-KDE sound still wouldn't work.  Then, guessing that ameroK was a
KDE application I found I could play an MP3 file.  Further poking around
showed that ameroK was simply wrapping Helix and Helix had commercial
extensions.

So I removed Firefox's reference to RealPlayer in its plugins list.  Then I
searched for amerok in my file system.  After that I redirected Firefox to
launch ameroK instead of RealPlayer10 to play a streaming *.ram file.
Finally, streaming sound.

And all this was with a fairly idiot friendly distribution, SuSE 10.0.

Somedays I really question how ready for the desktop Linux really is.

It also reminds me why I got my Mom a Mac.