firefox extensions gone, Ubuntu update

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 17:49:37 MST 2007

I suspect the issue may be more related to the extensions themselves.  I did
the update before seeing this thread.  But when I did see this I looked and
the extensions window shows all 6 that I use but three of them show a button
for an update being available.

Jery, I am beginning to suspect that a part of M$ success and some of the
changing directions in Linux is because a LOT of people WANT to be stupid
when it comes to computers.  What I want is the ability to make the choices
and that is the rub since so many people want the "freedom" not to have to
make choices.  The bad thing is that the two approaches are almost mutually
exclusive.  To service the ones who want to be "stupid about computers" it
is necessary to shield them even from the fact there is a choice to make.
If you don't do that you will not appeal to the masses.  If you do it you
annoy the techies for whom you have made choices without their consent.

Maybe all OS's and applications need a Smart/Dumb button the user can press
anytime to expose/hide the option choices.  Ooooh, and the
designer/developer job just got a bunch harder.  How about a SmartER/DumbER
button?  <wink>

On 1/3/07, jdawgaz at cox.net <jdawgaz at cox.net> wrote:

> ---- Alex Dean <alex at crackpot.org> wrote:
> > der.hans wrote:
> > > It upgraded to 2.0.0.1.
> >
> > The same happened to me with Firefox on OSX.  I've downgraded back to
> > 1.5.0.9 until a few of the extensions I use daily are updated.  If you
> > decide to downgrade as well, you might have to manually re-enable the
> > extensions in Firefox to get them working again.
> >
> > I haven't updated Firefox on my Ubuntu install for this reason.
> >
> > I also recently discovered that Thunderbird (on OSX anyway) has a
> > default setting to automatically check for, download, and install
> > updates without user confirmation.  Really made me mad when I saw it has
> > updated itself without so much as a 'can I do this?' confirmation
> > message...  I disabled this for the future in Thunderbird > Preferences
> >  > Advanced > Update.
> >

> This sounds too M$ish to me! Most people won't know what hit them until it
> is too late. But then again most people are pretty stupid when it comes to
> computers, which is why M$ still has the market share.
>
> Jerry
>
> > alex

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss