Memory problem?

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 17:29:00 MST 2007

On 1/3/07, Eric Shubes <plug at shubes.net> wrote:

> I have a server running CentOS4 (current) with qmail that's been running
> fine for months. This morning the system 'froze', and after a hard reboot
> see this is what happened in the syslog:
>
> <snip>
>
> After rebooting, top shows:
> Mem:    158600k total,   143860k used,    14740k free,     3244k buffers
> Swap:   327672k total,     4128k used,   323544k free,    29040k cached

The first part was all greek, but this seems to say your server has roughly
160 MB of ram.  Certainly a small number and an odd one at that (like 128MB
plus 32 MB).    Is there any reason not to add more memory?  If you thought
you had more than that I am sure you would have noticed so it would not seem
to be failing memory.  Have you had any upgrades latley that might have
bloated (like maybe going to a 2,6 kernel for the first time)?

TIA for any insights/suggestions.

> --
> -Eric 'shubes'

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss