Looking for classes and advice

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sun Feb 25 21:44:49 MST 2007

Am 25. Feb, 2007 schwätzte Joey Prestia so:

>    Does anyone know of any college that offers unix or linux classes
> here in Phoenix? And any recommendations on what classes I would need to
> take that would lead to Unix or Linux network administration. I was
> certified a Programmer Detailer in 1991 and in 2005 A+ Certified and am
> working on my CompTia Linux+ but don't think that will be of any
> consequence in the job market  any suggestions?

Scottsdale Community College, Estrella Mountain Community College and Mesa
Community College all have Free Software classes. DeVry, Collins and
University for Advancing Technology also have Free Software classes.

One of the MCC instructors lists his on the PLUG web site. I'd love it if
all the Free Software instructors in town would do that.

EMCC and DeVry also have LUGs on campus. SCC might be starting one.

I think Rio Salado CC, Gilbert/Chandler CC and South Mountain CC also have
Free Software classes, but I'm not certain.

Jeremy Reed sometimes flies into town to give classes. There are probably
other companies that do Free Software training.

As for getting a job, the best advice I can give is to play. Set up and
run your own mail server and web server. Learn how to keep your own
firewall secure and how to subnet your network for servers on one side and
desktops on the other. If you only have two boxes, setup virtual
interfaces and pretend :). If you only have one box, setup virtual
interfaces and pretend even more.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "Wasted day. Wasted life. Dessert, please."  -- Steven Meretzky