Scratchbox environment

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Wed Feb 21 20:27:49 MST 2007

Eric "Shubes" wrote:
> Vaughn Treude wrote:
>> Hello everyone:
>> I'm trying to compile something for my Nokia 770 (which runs Linux, so
>> this post is not OT.  :-) )  I found a tool called "scratchbox" on
>> maemo.org; which seems to build a virtual "sandbox" distro on your
>> system.  I got it installed but am having trouble getting it set up
>> correctly.  Has anyone ever dealt with this stuff?
>> Vaughn

I almost got it working, then became terribly busy again and didn't
finish.  The problem that was dogging me was that a file didn't have its
permissions set right.  If the file actually loads and runs on my Nokia
I'll be shocked.  :-)
It's a clever idea - hadn't run into that manifestation of the sandbox
concept before.  The tutorial on the Maemo website was helpful yet
confusing because URLs were changed and utilities updated.  Can't really
complain about a free product, but it did take a while for me to figure
out.  Some of the paths weren't set, I had to create a few links here
and there.  It was no doubt made more difficult because it was written
for Debian and I'm running Mandrake.  I'll keep you guys posted.

Vaughn