What pci wireless card works best with Linux?

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 14:43:51 MST 2007

On 2/20/07, circa 13:23 MST, Gene Holmerud <geneous at cox.net> wrote:

> For into PCMCIA ("credit card") slot or PCI adapter into Motherboard?
>
> The latest Ubuntu live boot (6.06.1) immediately found my D-Link AirPlus
> DWL-G650 (PCMCIA).
>
> Gene
>
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:23:17 -0700, Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com>
> had written:
>
> > [...]
> > The internal wireless card (801 something) in my HP Laptop does
> > does not work with the Linux side of my dual boot installation.
> > It works fine with the WinXP side.  I also tried a Kubuntu live CD
> > and cannot get a wireless connection with it either.
> >
> > So, what PCI card would you recommend getting (or what other
> > solution would you recommend)?
> >[...]

Thanks for that info.
BTW, how much does a "D-Link AirPlus DWL-G650 (PCMCIA)"
card cost?
because I have an old laptop, currently running Ubuntu 6.06
(but I might consider installing later software),
and as of the old kernel (circa mid 2006? I think) in it,
(about 2.6.14? or so?)
I think the "out of the box" drivers for a certain
wifi chipset that it has, had some problem
(I think it is a Broadcom 4318 chipset, something like that)
(if I really want to check, I could find out)
so the folks who sold me the pre owned ThinkPad
installed it with an "ndiswrapper" around a windows
wifi driver.  This "can" work (it does, sometimes) but
not very reliably.
Fortunately I do not have an urgent immediate need to
get this laptop wifi working.
However, I might consider getting a new (PCMCIA) wifi
card, if it would simplify things.   (& if it is cheap...)
I also might upgrade to newer software;
(((PS:  hereby avoiding the temptation to top-post,
      even though bottom posting here is a little
      inconsistent with the immediate previous
      reply in this thread...)))
thanks,
--
Mike Schwartz