Fad FAQs [unfamiliar idiom?] (was: Re: KeyBoard [...])

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 12:10:50 MST 2007

On 2/15/07, Darrin Chandler <dwchandler at stilyagin.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 09:55:37AM -0700, Dan Lund wrote:
> > As in a wildman.  It's a pretty 80's term...
>
> Though I'm not sure how well it applies to giving helpful advice on vim,
> I'll take it as a compliment. :)
> --
> Darrin Chandler                   |  Phoenix BSD Users Group
> [...]
>

> As in a wildman.  It's a pretty 80's term...

pardon my ignorance, but,
even though I lived through the 80's,
(our son & daughter were both born then),
I still don't really understand.
(so, maybe I might grok a *60's* term better?...)
To me, the term "wildman" suggests either someone who
is so fierce he doesn't have to worry about being polite,
or someone who is so physically strong and quick that
he can solve a hard problem quickly... or, leap over
some amazing stuff in a single bound, or whatever.
I guess there "could" be a connection there (with the
latter meaning at least) with someone being very helpful
in a pinch;
but (and I think I am agreeing with Darrin here), being able
to provide great vim advice is more a matter of knowledge
(and, recall) - -
  and, a sort of altruistic [? perhaps], willingness to
  read PLUG-discuss and to send e-mail replies
than, like, a feat of brute strength.

> I'll take it as a compliment. :)

Right!
I agree, - - always ["optimistically"] judge others on
the side of merit; give them the benefit of the doubt.
<< "when possible" >>.
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ