TOC for man

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Wed Feb 14 14:23:26 MST 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 01:07:45PM -0700, Eric Shubes wrote:
> Darrin Chandler wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 09:22:44AM -0700, Joseph Sinclair wrote:
> >> Try "Info".  Info is the replacement that GNU created for man.  Unfortunately it never really caught on, but most of the core system tools and quite a bit of other things are in the Info index.
> >>

> > I'd say "Info is the unfortunate replacement that GNU created for man."
> > Replacing an outdated but serviceable utility shouldn't be done with a
> > half-baked idea and poor implementation choices.
> >
> > But all my distaste aside, for some things full documentation is only
> > available in info, with summaries or stubs in the man pages. The man
> > pages will refer (and defer) to the info pages in that case. At least
> > that's what I've seen lately. Years ago people were doing info stuff
> > with no man page at all, and many people (like me) thought there just
> > wasn't any doc.
> >
> Darrin,
>
> You're leaning me toward writing that script.
> Thanks (I think!).

First, that's *my* take on info. Others will have their own opinion, and
since you seem new to info perhaps you should reserve judgement until
you're more familiar with it. ;)

Second, as your own experiences with qmail will show, you have the
ability to spot missing or poor functionality and contributing something
to the community. By all means, work something up! Really, it sounds
like something I'd use, if it were general purpose enough.

--
Darrin Chandler                   |  Phoenix BSD Users Group
dwchandler at stilyagin.com          |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/