SCaLE5x Impressions

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Feb 13 17:43:13 MST 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 10:13 -0700, Dennis Kibbe wrote:
> I've put a quick summary of Day One of SCaLE5x (Southern California
> Linux Expo) at

----
hmmm...I wish I knew Dennis by sight.

Anyway, my very small report on SCALE 07.

I got there for Friday's mini-conference on Open Source and Health Care
which was very good. I would be happy to know of any other open source
folk in Phoenix in the health care industry to see if we can share
notes, etc.

Saturday...morning was a zoo since it appeared that the turnout was much
larger than anticipated. I projected over 1000 people and someone
involved with SCALE confirmed that they indeed went over the 1000 mark
but they hadn't gotten an exact count of paid attendees as of like 4:15
on Sunday afternoon.

Exhibitors were the obvious ones...Red Hat, Novell, OpenBSD, FreeBSD,
Gentoo, Ubuntu, and on the hardware side, Dell, IBM, Aberdeen, Coraid.
Exhibitors list can be gotten from SCALE 07 web site.

Lectures were on 4 separate 'tracts' / meeting rooms and were of
moderate usefulness. Xen seminars (there were 3) had heavy turnouts and
the best lecture (for my purposes) was the last time slot on Sunday by
Jay Pipes of MySQLAB (remember this guy, knowledgable and entertaining)
who covered optimization of MySQL (I primarily use PostgreSQL but
definitely learned a lot here).

I think that there were more people there from Phoenix than we realize
and I would propose that we negotiate a booth next year and I would be
happy to man the booth for a good amount of the time.

Craig