Looking for recommendations for Linux laptop

Lee Reynolds lreynolds at frontier.eas.asu.edu
Tue Feb 13 16:23:31 MST 2007

I have a faculty member here who is looking for a laptop to run Linux.
Unfortunately I'm not the best person to make a recommendation on what
to buy since I don't run Linux on any laptops.  I have set it up before
for our customers and even got things like sound, full X support, and
wireless working (sometimes).  What I lack is the ability to say "buy
this" and be confident that my recommendation will have minimal problems.

Here is her description of what she wants: "I am looking for a minimal
laptop.  The purpose of the purchase is to have a machine that I can
take into class and demonstrate LINUX commands, utilities, etc as well
as development of C and C++ programs.  Quite honestly, I would like to
spend as little as possible."

It should be able to connect to our wireless network and be fairly
capable, but other than that there are not any special considerations.

If anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Lee