security implications of dmz and vlan

James Lee Bell nuclear-cowboy at cox.net
Thu Feb 1 00:28:49 MST 2007

Delurking for this one. VLANs within a switching fabric should not
usually be trusted as secure separation devices between zones of trust.
While most of the known vlan hopping/smashing mechanisms depend on items
that can be handled with appropriate switch configuration, the
possibility/probability of unknown ones (how many IOS vulnerabilities
have appeared in last few months?) should give one pause in doing so.

In reality, I'm uncertain what you are trying to accomplish - your
physically separate switches with fw performing access control and
routing seems more secure - so I'll stick with finishing the VLAN
question for now. Cisco has some good info on locking down their
switches, and of course looking up the Yersinia vlan hopping tool papers
and their recommendations can help to lock down the switches to the
point where you can somewhat "trust" them to do what you are asking. The
gist will be that you have to explicitly configure every single port on
the switch (some commands can be run once for all ports, some can't) to
be host ports not trunk ports, and turn off all unnecessary dynamic
services (where have we heard that refrain :-) like dynamic trunking
protcol, cdp, vtp, etc.

Side note: Outside and DMZ are in similar zones of trust, the latter
slightly more protected. Inside is completely different zone of trust.
My take is if possible to group not just layer 3 but layer 2 for
separation, because you don't know what you don't know.