bootdisks

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Dec 31 18:37:39 MST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 18:26 -0700, Matt Graham wrote:
> From: eculbert <eculbert at yahoo.com>
> > Michael Sammartano <volinaz at cox.net> wrote:
> >> Win98 was not designed to be bootable
> >> from the cd, although I do have a few that were made
> >> bootable. Also windows will 'NOT' format over ext2
>
> The only 'Doze98 CD (first edition) I ever had was bootable.
> So it's possible, and I *thought* that was the default.
>
> >> utility that erases the existing partition/s or use
> >> Linux to create the fat.
>
> fdisk + mkdosfs -F32 will not just make the CD happy, it'll
> save *a lot* of time.  "Format and check" takes forever if
> you have a decent-sized disk.  Make sure to get the
> partition type right (0x0b for < 8G, 0x0c for > 8G) or the
> whole thing will fail miserably after wasting a lot of time.
>
> > Wondering if somehow, no fat partition is being
> > detected and instead it is balking at that?
>
> That'd be the first thing I'd try.
----
been a VERY long time and there is no way that I would install Win98 for
anyone for any reason at this point but I seem to recall...

That you must clear the MBR of the hard disk to allow Win98 to install
bootloader and to boot. ( fdisk /dev/[h|s]da /mbr ) (for dual boot, you
can re-run grub-install to fix this afterwards)

Also, I don't recall Win98 being able to boot from other than primary
master first partition

Also, Ed apparently is dealing with 2 CD drives but only the one that is
the 'master' is likely to boot.

Craig