Cinelerra question

Erich Newell erich.newell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 18:04:14 MST 2007

I read about similar problems with the stability of Cinelerra in the
KDEnlive article I mentioned....Sorry to hear they haven't worked them
out yet. I don't know what the process is for importing in KDEnlive,
but for Kino you simply open the files...since they are not DV format,
it will ask if you would like to import them. They will each appear as
segments in DV format within the application. Just as a warning
tho...DV is about 10 times larger than mpeg. Not sure on the actual
numbers, but its a major difference. If Kino is unable to import them,
then you're probably down to transcode to get them to a workable
format.

You can find the appropriate flags to feed transcode simply be getting
the information from VLC. Play the file and while its running go to:
"View" -> "Stream and Media Info" -> "Advanced Information". That
should tell you everything you need to know. You may also find this
under the file "properties" in your file browser depending on your
desktop/distro of choice. I know under Nautilus I can see the same
info by right clicking on the file and selecting "properties".

On Dec 31, 2007 2:55 PM, Vaughn Treude <vltreude at deru.com> wrote:
> Erich,
> I hate to bug you again, but I'm severely frustrated.  I've tried about
> 8 different encoder programs.  Most work to some degree.  I've decided
> that Cinelerra (the version I have) is still is piece of garbage that
> works sporadically if at all.  I haven't yet figured out how to get
> Cinelerra-CV on the old (2005) distro I'm using, and I don't have time
> to attempt an upgrade at the moment.  And I'm puzzled by KDEnlive, which
> seems to want yet another format.  So I still have hope for Kino.  But I
> don't know how to produce a proper DV file.  Can DV files be in
> different container formats, such as MOV and AVI?  If so, I can't figure
> out which coded to use.  Wikipedia says DV uses DCT encoding, but the
> names of codecs seem to bear little if any resemblance to the names of
> the format?  If you know what codecs (audio and video) I should use, I'd
> be eternally grateful.  If not, I'll quit bugging you.  Thanks again!
> Vaughn
>
> Erich Newell wrote:
> > No I'm sorry to say the only tutorial I have for transcode is the man
> > page...but there are several front-ends that make the job easier. A
> > quick "apt-cache search transcode" reveals half a dozen or so under
> > Ubuntu. I'm certain there are just as many for your distro of choice.
> >
> > On another note, I was reading the October issue of LJ (yes, I'm
> > behind) which has an article on KDENLIVE...which is an another
> > Non-Linear Editor for video. You might want to check it out (no
> > personal experience).

> >> Erich,
> >> Thanks for your help.  I've installed Kino, but it does not like my MOV
> >> files.  (Error: "Failed to Load Media File.")  Perhaps there is a
> >> problem with the MOV files. I produced them with a script I found online
> >> that calls VLC with mysterious parameters to make it do the conversions.
> >>   I suppose I will try getting transcode or some other tool to do it.
> >> Can you point me to a good tutorial?
> >> Vaughn

"A man is defined by the questions that he asks; and the way he goes
about finding the answers to those questions is the way he goes
through life."