It's now illegal to turn on your computer

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Sun Dec 30 21:01:24 MST 2007

Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 20:20 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
>>
>> Seriously, if the RIAA wants to put space-shifting on the table, I think
>> they will loose twice: Once as more and more people abandon their
>> products and again when the courts tell them to take a hike.
> ----
> the RIAA would be absolutely insane to make this argument if they had
> any feeling that they would lose this argument because precedents are
> set from judgments.
>
> I think that it's entirely reasonable that they would want to retry the
> issues behind 'space-shifting' as you call it and they would certainly
> pick the case to use rather than have one dictated to them.
> ----

Space shifting = To move the purchased copy of copyrighted content from
one media to another.  Like copying an LP to cassette tape for listening
on your portable tape player or copying a video taped TV show to a DVD.
 This is "generally held" to be fair use but has not been specifically
defined as such in a court case or in law, I don't think.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_shifting

Time shifting = To record a real-time broadcast and then play it back
later on the same device.  This is the concept that was held as "fair
use" by the US Supreme Court in 1984 in the beta-max case.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_shifting

It is, of course, possible to do both, like if you copy a video tape
recorded TV show to a portable video player, shifting both "space" and
"time."  And we thought that's only possible in science-fiction!

>> Start looking around for stuff you like from here
>> http://creativecommons.org/audio and there is no reason to go to the
>> RIAA companies.
> ----
> Well, no offense intended but the virtually all of the stuff that I buy
> and listen to ain't there (Ottmar Liebert excepted)

No offense taken.

These are the places that I use to look for new music:

http://cdbaby.com/
http://www.garageband.com/
http://www.jamendo.com/en/
http://magnatune.com/
http://www.opsound.org/
http://www.soundclick.com/
http://www.stage.fm/
http://www.sudd.org/

Mostly Magntune.com

However, I am no perfect boycott keeper.  I buy a few CDs per year, but
only CDs.  My wife and kids are about the same but it's mostly because
we don't like the current music or it's just too expensive for the
quality.  They mostly buy movie soundtracks.

I do love the cheap 70's and 80's pop and rock CDs that seem to be
popping up all over the place these days.  My MP3 player now has "The
Cars Greatest Hits" on it, my most recent physical purchase.

Alan