Is it yet possible to _really_ switch from Windows?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Dec 29 18:14:18 MST 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 16:29 -0700, Jason Spatafore wrote:
> Honestly, I am going to pure-Linux in March, when I am done with school.
>
> A friend of mine recently had a motherboard go bad. Since the system used
> WinXP Home (OEM), we were told we need to buy a new copy of Windows for the
> new motherboard. I have spent a couple days trying to find the same exact
> motherboard in hopes of "fooling" MS activation. Silly waste.
>
> The example above is the reason why I have been against Microsoft since
> WinXP's release. Yes, it's a great OS, but the licensing structure, cost,
> and activation requirements are enough for me to leave it. I have been
> running Windows 2000 for the past 3 years (with Suse Linux dual boot). The
> reason I use Win2K is because I was told by MS that I could no longer
> activate my WinXP product after I upgrade my video card and memory. Since
> many games that were made for WinXP also run in Win2K, I have found Win2K as
> an acceptable alternative. (Yes, I do have my Win2K license....had it for
> quite awhile before XP. Ran XP for a year before my woes.)
----
I've been pure Linux for many, many years. Of course quitting cigarettes
is really really tough.

Microsoft settled on the motherboard as a primary indicator of hardware
change requiring new license a few years ago (I think a few months after
they released WinXP). They seem to permit video card change, hard drive
change, memory change but not motherboard. Of course you can call their
Licensing 800 number and plead your case...but just that act alone
should convince you that Microsoft software is really anti-consumer.

Craig