Samba Set Up Trouble

John Wheat jwheat71 at cox.net
Mon Dec 24 18:06:09 MST 2007

Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-24 at 10:54 -0700, John Wheat wrote:
>
>> Craig White wrote:

>>> ----
>>> OK - you're being incomplete
>>>
>>> if you have a Linux user john, and you have a samba user john, then you
>>> should be able to connect to your Linux server as john..
>>>
>>> smbclient -L WHATEVER_SERVER_BIOS_NAME_OR_IP_ADDRESS -U john
>>>
>>> and it will ask you for a password and it is either accepted or
>>> rejected.
>>>
>>> if it is rejected, change your samba password by issuing command...
>>>
>>> smbpasswd john
>>>
>>> This isn't rocket science
>>>
>>> Craig
>>>

>> The output of
>>
>> smbclient -L WHATEVER_SERVER_BIOS_NAME_OR_IP_ADDRESS -U john is as follows:
>>
>> Domain=[GARYGNU] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28]
>>
>> 	Sharename       Type      Comment
>> 	---------       ----      -------
>> 	homes           Disk
>> 	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.28)
>> 	HP5500          Printer   hp deskjet 5550
>> 	john            Disk      Home directory of john
>> Domain=[GARYGNU] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28]
>>
>> 	Server               Comment
>> 	---------            -------
>>
>> 	Workgroup            Master
>> 	---------            -------
>> 	JHBBZ                GARYGNU
>>
>> Apparently the first time I entered the command I did so by server name and not IP address and it failed.
>>
> ----
> since you had 'wins support = yes' earlier in thread, I would expect
> that connecting to GARYGNU should be the same as the ip_address
> ----
>
>> So I assume by the above I at least have a good connection locally with my user.
>>
> ----
> I have tried to give you the tools to test the connection (user
> names/passwords) without the mysteries of another computer so when you
> see what works, you can then do them from another computer.
> ----
>
>>  I have read a lot of info on samba and at a last resort sent a message to the list for help. If giving help is too much for you Craig then create a filter out of my email address and we will be good to go.
>>
> ----
> I am sort of disappointed with this response because I thought I was
> being helpful. I'm going to simply ignore the comment for now.
> Anyway, you need to recognize that the actual purpose for a 'HOMES'
> share (and for that matter, 'PROFILES' and 'NETLOGON' shares) is for
> Windows Domain where a samba server emulates a Windows PDC (primary
> domain controller) and a user connecting to a domain would reasonably
> expect to gain access to his PROFILE, his HOME directory, and
> automatically execute whatever login script was designated in
> 'NETLOGON' (and also if necessary, use the 'Default User' profile inside
> 'NETLOGON' if such a profile existed). These are 'service' shares and
> are unlike all other Windows shares.

> [...]
 Thank you Craig. I now have a better understanding of the difference
between "HOMES" and simply sharing a directory somewhere. I did not
realize I was complicating things much more than I needed to. It would
seem that I have only partially configured samba to allow connections
from a remote PC in this case my wifes laptop. I am basically looking to
give her access to the printer setup on my Debian desktop and access to
/music /pictures and /documents to do this In smb.conf an entry such as
the following should get the job done with minimal headache.

[music]
comment = music
path= /home/music
read only = No