Speeding up X11 forwarding

Erich Newell erich.newell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 12:56:03 MST 2007

Be sure to enable SSH compression and you may want to opt for a crypto
scheme with less overhead (eg Blowfish).

On another note: Does anyone out there have any benchmark data on VNC
vs. direct X11 forwarding?

- Erich

On Dec 23, 2007 10:15 PM, Kevin Buettner <kev at buettner.to> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 22:37:30 -0700
> "Bryan O'Neal" <BONeal at cornerstonehome.com> wrote:
>
> > I am working on remote machines a lot lately, and while I have killer
> > pipes at one end, and fairly good pipes at the other end, using X11 aps
> > like fire fox is down right painful.  Any way to speed it up through my
> > ssh_conf or sshd_conf files?  I typically login in using -X -Y, but it
> > will take upwards of two minutes just to launch firefox.
>
> I've found that VNC works pretty well for running X apps remotely.
>
> Kevin

"A man is defined by the questions that he asks; and the way he goes
about finding the answers to those questions is the way he goes
through life."