Samba Set Up Trouble

John Wheat jwheat71 at cox.net
Mon Dec 24 10:54:50 MST 2007

Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-23 at 20:46 -0700, John Wheat wrote:
>
>> Craig White wrote:

>>> ----
>>> does user 'john' exist in Linux?
>>> did you create a user 'John' in Linux by mistake?
>>> reset your smbpassword for user john...
>>>
>>> smbpasswd john
>>>
>>> Craig
>>>

>> john is my user. Established when I installed Debian
>>
> ----
> OK - you're being incomplete
>
> if you have a Linux user john, and you have a samba user john, then you
> should be able to connect to your Linux server as john..
>
> smbclient -L WHATEVER_SERVER_BIOS_NAME_OR_IP_ADDRESS -U john
>
> and it will ask you for a password and it is either accepted or
> rejected.
>
> if it is rejected, change your samba password by issuing command...
>
> smbpasswd john
>
> This isn't rocket science
>
> Craig

The output of

smbclient -L WHATEVER_SERVER_BIOS_NAME_OR_IP_ADDRESS -U john is as follows:

Domain=[GARYGNU] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28]

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	homes           Disk
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.28)
	HP5500          Printer   hp deskjet 5550
	john            Disk      Home directory of john
Domain=[GARYGNU] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28]

	Server               Comment

	Workgroup            Master
	JHBBZ                GARYGNU

Apparently the first time I entered the command I did so by server name and not IP address and it failed.
So I assume by the above I at least have a good connection locally with my user. I have read a lot of info on samba and at a last resort sent a message to the list for help. If giving help is too much for you Craig then create a filter out of my email address and we will be good to go.