Samba Set Up Trouble

John Wheat jwheat71 at cox.net
Sun Dec 23 18:22:08 MST 2007

Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-23 at 15:36 -0700, John Wheat wrote:
>
>> I am trying to set up Samba to use with my wife's Vista laptop. My
>> System the samba server is Debian Etch and I have added an account for
>> her (Holly) on my debian sysytem but whn I try to login to the shares on
>> my Debian system from the laptop it will only allow me to login with my
>> Linux account and not hers. Is this because I (user "john") is the
>> account that is logged into the Debian host? Should I be able to access
>> these shares essentially my /home from the laptop logging in with
>> Holly's credentials.  Would have something to do with tis line in teh
>> smb.conf file:
>> # By default, \\server\username shares can be connected to by anyone
>> # with access to the samba server.
>> # The following parameter makes sure that only "username" can connect
>> # to \\server\username
>> # This might need tweaking when using external authentication schemes
>>    valid users = %S
>> I don't know what this means  "valid users = %----

>> #1 - have sympathy on lists and remove comment lines. You can do this
>>      easily with smb.conf by typing 'testparm -s > /tmp/samba.conf'
>>      and giving us the output of that file (/tmp/samba.conf)
>>
>> #2 - The 'Macros' like %S are described in samba man page which can
>>      be gotten by typing 'man smb.conf' in a console/terminal or
>>      opening Konqueror and typing 'man smb.conf' in the address bar
>>
>> #3 - Samba's requirement for users is that they are a user in Linux
>>      and a samba user too (same name)...therefore, after you create
>>      the user 'holly' in Debian, get a terminal and type...
>>
>>      smbpasswd -a holly
>>
>>      which will then prompt you for a password for 'user' holly
>>
>> Craig

This is the output of testparm -s
[global]
    workgroup = JHBBZ
    server string = %h server
    obey pam restrictions = Yes
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    syslog = 0
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    printcap name = cups
    dns proxy = No
    wins support = Yes
    invalid users = root

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    valid users = %S
    read only = No
    create mask = 0775
    directory mask = 0700

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    create mask = 0700
    printable = Yes
    browseable = No

[print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/printers

[John]
    path = /home/john
    valid users = holly, Holly
    read only = No
    guest ok = No

Is the %S in [homes] restricting access to "user" john only for
/home/john ?

I have added "user" holly to smbpasswd and her account cannot login from
vista do I need to specify an absolute path to smbpasswd?