Cron job for backup

gm5729 gm5729 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 00:41:12 MST 2007

Okay I got this cron job accomplished. The command I was going to use
would not run properly in crontab most likely because of some unknown
syntax problem. However, I did get a cron job going by making a simple
script to run from cron instead.

0 OrangeRoot1000 at VampirePenguin: ~
Fri Dec 14, 00:37 $ cat /usr/local/bin/LappieBackupScript
#!/bin/bash

echo "Backup started on: $(date -u +%Y%m%d-%H:%M)"
dpkg --get-selections >
/home/OrangeRoot1000/Documents/ConfigurationFiles/CurrentPackagesInstalled.log
crontab -l > /home/OrangeRoot1000/Documents/ConfigurationFiles/crontab.conf.OrangeRoot1000
cp -Ru /usr/local/bin /home/OrangeRoot1000/Documents/ConfigurationFiles
cp -Ru /etc/apt /home/OrangeRoot1000/Documents/ConfigurationFiles
cp -u /etc/network/interfaces
/home/OrangeRoot1000/Documents/ConfigurationFiles/interfaces
cp -u /etc/X11/xorg.conf
/home/OrangeRoot1000/Documents/ConfigurationsFiles/xorg.conf
cp -a /home/OrangeRoot1000
/media/disk/OrangeRoot1000Backups/Lappie$(date -u +%Y%m%d-%H:%M)

echo "Backup completed on: $(date -u +%Y%m%d-%H:%M)"

df -h

************************

0 OrangeRoot1000 at VampirePenguin: ~
Fri Dec 14, 00:38 $ crontab -l
# m h  dom mon dow   command
50 12 * * 2,5   /usr/local/bin/LappieBackupScript >> /tmp/LappieBackupLog
# This file was written by KCron. Copyright (c) 1999, Gary Meyer
# Although KCron supports most crontab formats, use care when editing.
# Note: Lines beginning with "#\" indicates a disabled task.

TaDa!!!!!!! The only thing I have to remember is to turn my usb hdd on
now.... LOL

Vampy