stty problem

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Dec 12 12:01:01 MST 2007

After a long battle with technology, Lynn Newton wrote:
> > I have a script.  if I try to run it from another script, it still works
> > fine, but I get "stty: standard input: Innappropriate ioctl"

This happens when stdin isn't a tty.  You can't do the ioctl()s that stty does
on an ordinary file or a pipe for reasons which should be obvious.  My guess
is that stdin is being redirected somewhere, and something is calling stty
without checking isatty() first.

> It would help if you gave some kind of a hint what goes on inside the
> script, since that's where the error would be coming from. I could make a
> guess, but I'd be basing it on no real information.

The complete script; show it to us.

--
   The night passed like a kidney stone: painfully and with the help of
   major sedatives.   --T. Delgado, Lyttle Lytton winner, 2001