Oracle Woe's - Pam Issue?

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 10:35:22 MST 2007

I would have to agree with Alex.
It's quite easy to abstract the database calls via a function, and use
SQL98 calls.  Then, migrating the data to Oracle at a later time would
be "easy".

MySQL became popular because it was lightweight, and very fast, and
open source.  It achieved that through stripping "unnecessary"
abilities from it's list of abilities during creation like
transactions and so forth.
I'm sure Postgres has the same abilities, and that's a whole holy war
on it's own.  I've heard it way too much, so use whatever you feel
comfortable with.  In the end, you'll end up on Oracle anyway if it's
a high-transaction system and becomes relied upon by business.

On Dec 12, 2007 9:44 AM,  <alex at crackpot.org> wrote:
> Quoting Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>:
>
> > MySQL is immensely popular because it has a bunch of GUI tools for those
> > that want to play at being a DBA without actually the foundational
> > knowledge. There are a bunch of gotchas with MySQL and eventually they
> > tend to get in the way. Not a bad place to start though.
>
> To say that GUI tools are the reason for MySQL's popularity is way off
> the mark.  MySQL was popular long before there were any GUI tools.
> They are more of an afterthought, and are not nearly as useful as the
> 'mysql' cli interface.
>
> Brian : Base your application on portable SQL, use a db abstraction
> layer, and set up a dev environment where you can test your app using
> several DBMSs.  MySQL can scale quite well, but so can Postgres and
> Oracle.
>
> A large part of the decision ought to be what you're comfortable with,
> because you'll always get more performance out of a server you
> actually understand.  Sounds like you prefer Oracle.  If you decide to
> make the switch to another DBMS, plan to spend a lot of time getting
> familiar with it.
>
> alex

Thanks,
Dan Lund

"This day we rescue a world from mysticism and tyranny, and usher in a
future brighter than anything we can imagine."