OpenMoke vs. Android

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Dec 11 12:02:55 MST 2007

moin moin,

OK, OpenMoko seems to be Free, as in speech, all the way around. I think
Android is as well.

Can anyone give us a comparison as to the Freeness of the two platforms?

http://openmoko.org/
http://code.google.com/android/

A couple of proprietary pieces in OpenMoko, but mostly Free Software.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Is_it_completely_free_software.2Fopen_source.3F

Looks like not all of the Android code has hit the streets, but the plan
is to release it all, mostly under the Apache Software License.

http://code.google.com/android/kb/licensingandoss.html

Does Android not support Free and Open formats or just not want to
mention them? Hmm, it has PNG, that's Free and Open, so I guess they're
just ignoring Xiph.

I didn't see a list of supported file formats for OpenMoko.

http://code.google.com/android/what-is-android.html

There's also LiMo, but it seems to embrace lots of proprietary and patent
encumbrances.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070807-handsets-with-limo-mobile-linux-platform-to-reach-market-by-2008.html

ciao,

der.hans
#  "Life is pain, Highness! Anyone who says differently is selling something."
#   -- Dread Pirate Roberts in The Princess Bride