Extracting audio from a non-DRMed DVD

Steven stevensspam at cox.net
Sun Dec 9 23:41:57 MST 2007

This seems like it ought to be easy, but the solution I've found so far
is not really optimal. Preferably using free software, I need to extract
just the audio from some interviews that have been saved on DVD, so it
can be either saved as an mp3 file or audio CD for transcription.

What I am currently doing is loading up the video, then starting
Audacity and pressing record. Then I switch back to the video and press
play. Which works, but goes in real time. I'd prefer something where the
speed was based more on how quickly the cpu can churn through the file.