mp3 tag editor

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sun Dec 9 11:30:59 MST 2007

From: Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
> On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 11:09 -0700, Matt Graham wrote:
>> IIRC, this all has to do with the type of tag being created.  ID3v1 tags
>> store the genre as a number, and this number gets looked up in a preset
>> list.  ID3v2 tags store the genre as a string, which can be freeform.
>> The tag editor that I like is called tagtool, and is a GNOME app.
> I've been ripping my DVD's into mp4 on Linux. I tried setting idtags but
> when I import them into iTunes, it seems the tags are completely
> discarded.

How are you setting the tags?  With what program?

> Are you familiar with idtags and mp4 files and iTunes?

mp4... never used it.  Its tagging scheme is probably completely different
from the schemes used in mp3s.  Checking the ebuilds gives me only one lead,
the easytag program.  I would install and try that GTK+ program on a file
with known good mp4 tags, then try the same program on a file without them,
and find the differences and correct them/whatever.