Samsung 712N and xorg.conf

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sun Dec 9 10:35:40 MST 2007

From: Jerry Davis <jdawgaz at cox.net>
> On Sunday 09 December 2007 08:48, Matt Graham wrote:
> > From: Jerry Davis <jdawgaz at cox.net>
>>> I am trying to get my Dad's computer working with his Samsung SyncMaster
>>> 712N, and am having some trouble.
>>> Samsung SyncMaster 712N
>>> HorizSync 31.5 - 48.5
>>> VertRefresh 40.0 -70.0
>> Are those accurate?  LCDs may need higher ranges for these than the
monitor
>> can actually do, because LCDs don't *have* Hsync and Vsync
> don't really know. my Dad just emailed me, that he got it to work at 800x600

> and he can see the full screen now.
> how is the resolution in X11 tied to the sync and refresh rates? could bad
> values make the "native" resolution not be possible?

"Native" should not be in quotes here.  Unlike CRTs, LCDs have one and only
one
optimal resolution; the resolution that exactly corresponds to the number of
pixels they have.  X is very conservative wrt sync rates, and if you take a
look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log, you might see a line like "Mode 1280x1024
discarded due to inadequate Hsync".  I have an LG something-or-other LCD
that's
1280x1024, and all normal Modes work fine.  (Doublescan modes = barf, but I
don't really need anything below 640x480.)  Hsync is 30-95, Vsync is 55-160.
Those numbers were copied directly from my old CRT.

>>> Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "720x400" "648x480"
>> Google says the Samsung 712N has a native resolution of 1280x1024.  So
edit
>> xorg.conf and add that Mode to the Modes line, then restart X.

Did he do this, or not?