hw and sw xen

Austin Godber godber at uberhip.com
Fri Dec 7 09:38:14 MST 2007

der.hans wrote:
> moin moin,
>
> a software install of xen requires special xen kernels.
>
> Do those same kernels work when running on a hardware install of xen?
>
> Do they run on hardware without being on a Dom0?
>
> In talking to one of my co-workers about the RHCE study classes we thought
> of using xen for them in addition to how I plan on using it for the
> classes I'm teaching at MCC.
>
> I want to know if we can make one image that would work for both software
> and hardware xen installs.
>
> The idea is that we build images of specific configurations for using as
> labs and we want to make them generally available.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans

Building portable Xen images is challenging unless you plan to run them
fully virtualized (HVM or Hardware mode).  I really haven't perfected
the xen configuration yet.  The main problem being that each
distribution has a slightly different Xen setup.  I am working on that
today comparing Ubuntu 7.10 with Fedora 7.

Whether the xen patched kernel can be used in the fully virtuallized
guest, I don't know for sure, but I suspect the answer is yes. Hmmm, maybe.

Austin