OT: Motherboard with Two CPU, 4 PCI-e x8 slots?

Nathan Aubrey nathan at paysonlinux.org
Thu Dec 6 14:48:32 MST 2007

On Thursday 06 December 2007 10:50:26 Alan Dayley wrote:
> I need help finding a vendor for a motherboard with particular
> requirements.  The application requires high I/O through-put on PCI-e
> (PCI Express) adapter boards.  Therefore the hard requirements are:
>
> - At least four slots for PCI-e x8 adapters.  x16 is, of course, acceptable
> - At least two CPU sockets that accomodate dual core AMD CPUs. The four
> cores are needed to keep the PCI-e I/O pipes full.
> - Video NOT on the PCI-e bus.  That means an AGP or PCI slot for the video.
>
> Softer requirements are:
>
> - At least 2GB RAM for each CPU
> - 6 USB connections
> - On-board SATA II controller for the boot drive
>
> A board that meets this criteria is the Asus L1N64-SLI WS Motherboard
> (Example vendor page:
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=
>2853609&CatId=3489) However this board is going away and finding AMD CPUs
> for an Socket L1 is becoming harder than I thought.
>
> Do any of you have a favorite high performance computer system or parts
> vendor that you would recommend?
>
> Alan

I don't know about that, maybe someone has a proprietary product out there,
but this may be the closest you get. A server board with 2 chips and 4 PCI-X
slots...

You may have to build a two machine cluster with fddi inbetween, which
actually wouldn't be hard...

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/10/04/one_gigabyte_motherboard/
http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2690&ProductName=GA-MA790FX-DQ6

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Networking/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=1063