OT: Digg - Open DS Governance Issues

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Dec 4 20:17:36 MST 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 19:50 -0700, Ben Francom wrote:
>         and a very impressive, almost AD like...
>
> AD is impressive?
----
yeah but more on that in a second...

I was referring to their new 'Directory Express' and 'Directory Server
Gateway' web tools screenshots as they've had their 'consoles' (about
the first half of the screenshots) since the beginning. They've
assembled a very robust GUI for viewing/editing and even integrating
LDAP in various ways.

Granted FDS (Fedora Directory Server) isn't the high performance beast
that OpenLDAP is but that isn't the point.

As for AD being impressive (which wasn't my point), Linux sysadmins
spend a lot of time assembling the tools that you get with AD but of
course, with AD, there is only one source for the tools. But you get
LDAP/Kerberos/DHCP/DNS/Group policy out of the box (and sets up quickly)
and while a Linux sysadmin can handle the first 4 fairly easily, group
policy is an awesome tool.

Craig