OT: Digg - Open DS Governance Issues

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Tue Dec 4 16:02:44 MST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 16:52 -0700, Stephen P Rufle wrote:
> http://digg.com/linux_unix/Open_DS_Governance_Issues
---
I presume that this was tossed to the list for commentary but it's
possible that the intent was to smear Sun for heavy handedness (although
that is not entirely unexpected). It would seem that some middle manager
at Sun made a cost cutting move and there was little consideration to
the impact on the ramifications of that move and this project is likely
to languish - read the backstory...

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/112907-sun-opends.html

I think that this story revolves around the issue of software licenses
and to that extent, one of the software developers involved in openDS
(and now no longer employed by Sun likely to be involved in future
development) has a blog that discusses the CDDL License and the
ramifications of that license...

http://directorymanager.wordpress.com/2007/12/02/why-the-dislike-for-cddl/

It is curious that Sun used LGPL for openoffice.org, CDDL for openDS and
OpenSolaris.

I think that this continues to inure to Red Hat's good will because they
actually purchased the Netscape Directory Server from AOL (the ashes of
Netscape) and have released it lock, stock and barrel (and it took them
quite some time to audit the code, assign the various parts and pieces
to the proper license, etc.

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing

and a very impressive, almost AD like...

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Screenshots

and I've been using it at a client's office and it works rather well all
considered.

But I am mostly using OpenLDAP.

OpenDS is not much in use. Thankfully, you don't need to use java for
everything (though I've seen it said that when all you have is a hammer,
everything looks like a nail).

Craig