K3B burns Memorex DVD's but not Maxell???

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Sun Dec 2 17:26:49 MST 2007

Vaughn Treude wrote:

> Craig,
> Thanks for your reply.  Yes, it's old.  I was hoping (perhaps in vain)
> that I could solve this with some kind of mode switch. Or maybe this
> drive is on its way out. I'm always afraid that upgrading will break my
> other stuff.  :-)
>
>  From dmesg, I see these over and over again:
> ATAPI device hdc:
>    Error: Not ready -- (Sense key=0x02)
>    (reserved error code) -- (asc=0x30, ascq=0x02)
>    The failed "Read Subchannel" packet command was:
>    "42 02 40 01 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
> cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
>
> Same stuff in syslog.
>
> Puzzling, because this is an empty DVD, it's not SUPPOSED to have any
> tracks it recognizes!  :-)

I this case the first suspect is the burner and it's firmware, not the
system software.  All recordable optical media is not equal.  Not all
burners are equal either.

This part:

>    Error: Not ready -- (Sense key=0x02)
>    (reserved error code) -- (asc=0x30, ascq=0x02)

is an error code in 3 bytes.  Taken together they mean:
2 / 30 / 02      CANNOT READ MEDIUM . INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT
(as defined at http://www.isobuster.com/help.php?help=305  Not an
official source but corroborates with others around.)

I think the drive cannot read the media you are giving it.  Does the
drive still burn the other brand?  You could test that if you have the
other brand blanks laying around.

Sometimes a burner firmware update can help, if you can find one.  Make
sure you found the right firmware and updater, though.  It is usually
easy to do such an update but there is a risk of "bricking" the burner.

Alan