No subject

Tue Aug 28 17:24:13 MST 2007

SCO v. Novell is a lawsuit brought by the SCO Group against Novell.
After the SCO Group initiated their Linux campaign, they made several
statements that they were the owners of Unix, probably meaning (though
never explicitly said) that they were the owners of the copyrights of
the original AT&T source code and derivatives. Novell claimed these
statements were false, and that they actually still owned Unix. After
Novell registered the copyrights to some key Unix products, SCO filed
suit against Novell, claiming slander of title. On August 10, 2007, a
major portion of the case (the fact that Novell had the copyright to
UNIX, and that the SCO Group had improperly kept money that was due to
Novell) was decided in Novell's favor. The court also ruled that "SCO
is obligated to recognize Novell's waiver of SCO's claims against IBM
and Sequent". After the ruling, Novell announced they have no interest
in suing people over Unix and stated "We don't believe there is Unix
in Linux".

SCO v. Novell article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO_v._Novell

I think SCO came in, said "Hey we own Unix, pay up", and Novell came
back and said "No, we do.", and Novell won. Now SCO owes royalties or
license fees to Novell.

Other SCO lawsuits (I think it's just a company of lawyers or something):

SCO v. IBM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO_v._IBM

Red Hat v. SCO
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_v._SCO