compiz/beryl and fast user switching

Josh Coffman joshcoffman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 11:48:59 MST 2007

On 8/31/07, Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 11:00 -0700, Josh Coffman wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >    Does anyone know if there is a way to make compiz or beryl work
> > with fast user switching. (using fedora 7 if that matters). 3d desktop
> > isn't a big deal to me but its a nice way to impress people with
> > linux.. plus one of the launcher panels I like needs a composite
> > window manager to work.
> ----
> I always thought that the impressive thing to demonstrate was stability,
> text based configuration files, automated installations/updates and of
> course free software.
>
> Eye candy things like compiz/beryl are hardly stable and are impressive
> only for people that know little about computers. Thus a compiz/beryl
> demonstration is perfect for pointy haired bosses but few else.
>
> --
> Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>

3d desktop is impressive to the casual over-the-shoulder peek at a coffee
shop, or showing someone something on your machine like a youtube video
briefly..

Craig, you're right, but unfortunately my opportunities to introduce linux
are limited to first impressions. For first impressions, style is usually
more impressive than substance.

-j