understanding CPU stats

alex at crackpot.org alex at crackpot.org
Fri Aug 31 11:23:08 MST 2007

I'm trying to better understand the output of vmstat, specifically the
difference between 'user' and 'system' cpu usage.  I have guessed that
'user' is all user programs, and 'system' is the kernel.  Is that right?

I've just upgraded PHP versions, and I'm seeing much higher system cpu
usage than prior to the upgrade.  Not sure what to attribute that to,
or where I ought to look for optimization options.

Memory usage looks about the same before and after.

alex