network unreachable

Joseph Huber joe.huber at cox.net
Thu Aug 30 18:39:24 MST 2007

Figured I would pass this along... this going back a few months from the
dates. Basic story was - have dual boot Debian/XP, suddenly when the Debian
side is up ethernet is dead. Realtek RTL8139/810x by the way...

At the time what I ended up with was a static address on the Debian side.
That made the problem go away and like most times where I think, "when I get
the time I'll have to figure out what the problem is..." I never did.

Couple days ago problem returned (even with the static IP). The additional
symptom this time was a "NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out." Google
turned up a truck load of hits including
http://bozziesfw.wordpress.com/2007/08/14/netdev-watchdog-timed-out-realtek-8139/
The only variation in my case was Windows restore didn't want to restore
which made things a tad more complicated but once I had the driver rolled
back (and Windows updates turned the h*ll off)  - bingo... the Debian side
works DHCP and all.