JOB: Ruby on Rails Developer

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 18:09:14 MST 2007

  Ruby is a scripting language and Ruby On Rails is a runtime environment
built in Ruby.  Its a very common platform for small-scale dynamic web
applications.  It makes dynamic web pages somewhat easier to develop if you
are coming from an graphic design background.  There are also good
facilities for AJAX applications.

  In my view the positives to Ruby are that it is easy for someone with a
'Web Designer' background to code dynamic web pages.  The negatives are that
Ruby hides a lot of internals and as such poses scaling and integration
problems.  It is somewhat of a trendy technology for web dev, and I am not
personally involved with it.  There are a number of vague positives
attributed to Ruby by the Ruby community (ie. dynamic typing, etc.) that I
believe are somewhat trivial and inconsequential (most of these things can
be found in for instance Python).  From a sales perspective, it does sell
well and it seems that many non-techies attribute the success of recent wave
of progressive web applications to the RoR platform.

  -jmz

On 8/30/07, David Munson <david.munson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Pardon me while I display my complete ignorance of a subject (once
> again, certainly not for the last time), but what exactly is Ruby, and
> why is it "On Rails" so often? Some sort of programming language?
>
> On 8/30/07, Derek Neighbors <derek at gnue.org> wrote:
> > JOB TITLE: Rails Developer

> > INTEGRUM TECHNOLOGIES is a growing rails consultancy in Chandler
> > Arizona, with a plethora of cutting edge new development for both mid
> > size and fortune 1000 companies.  We are interested in local bright,
> > outgoing, self motivated individuals who love technology.  Ideal
> > applications would start as contractors and be willing to move into
> > full-time employment.
> >
> > REQUIRED SKILLS:
> >   * Ruby
> >   * Ruby on Rails
> >   * SQL (Postgres,MySQL,Oracle,MSSQL)
> >   * HTML
> >   * Basic understanding of the HTTP protocol
> >
> > DESIRED SKILLS:
> >   * Test-driven or behavior-driven development (TDD/BDD) with
> RSpec/Test::Unit
> >   * Linux or other UNIX-like systems
> >   * Rails deployment (Capistrano, Mongrel, etc)
> >   * Version Control (Subversion, CVS, Perforce, etc)
> >   * CSS
> >   * Javascript / Ajax
> >
> > HOURS:  Full-time
> >
> > CONTACT: careers at integrumtech.com