PLUG netiquette (was trolls flamefest)

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 17:31:45 MST 2007

  Hey Tuna,

    If you guys want a community, you've got to support conflict
resolution.  Not everybody sees things the same way, if they did, there
wouldn't be any reason to be typing stuff into my computer.  I do somewhat
miss the days when listservs were really helpful places to do business,
etc.  I know that part of the problem is that they have been recognized as a
business resource and as such are regularly exploited.

    What I've learned is you can't take the people out of the equation-
there is no perfect 'social technology', aside from the ones we've known all
along (ie democracy, etc.).  These problems with search engines are a
perfect example, why are we modifying our behavior because of *Google's
deficiency*?  Were going to accept information thats processed according to
an algorithm we don't even have access to?

    I hope that no one here questions my background and interest in Linux
and OSS.  People are coming from all sorts of perspectives here- I do read
most of the posts and respond to a small percentage.

 -jmz

On 8/29/07, Tuna <tuna at supertunaman.com> wrote:

> Why must we flame? Where is the love? The community?
>
> Joshua Zeidner wrote:
> >

> > On 8/29/07, *Alan Dayley* <alandd at consultpros.com
> > <mailto:alandd at consultpros.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Joshua Zeidner wrote:
> >      >
> >      >
> >      > On 8/29/07, *keith smith* <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
> >     <mailto:klsmith2020 at yahoo.com>
> >      > <mailto:klsmith2020 at yahoo.com <mailto:klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> >>
> >     wrote:
> >      >
> >      >
> >      >     Add PLUG reserves the right to suspend or remove any account
> >     not in
> >      >     compliance.
> >      >
> >      >
> >      >
> >      >   And for my reference, WHO is PLUG?
> >
> >     Straight to the point.  WE are PLUG.
> >
> >     There is a Steering Committee with a chair person but, they direct
> the
> >     group in a "benevolent dictator" style, sort of...  The committee
> does
> >     makes sure stuff happens but has no real force of control.  There
> >     are no
> >     by-laws or hard rules for the committee to lean on or point
> at.  PLUG
> >     members follow or don't or grumble or yell as they see fit.
> >
> >     So, your point is taken.  If anyone is reserving the right to ban
> >     someone, who has that right and what are the criteria?  I don't know
> >     the
> >     answer to that question.
> >

> >   Honestly, I've been through this with one group already here in
> > Phoenix.  Usually if something happens someone doesn't like, they evoke
> > the hidden and mysterious powers of moderation.  Behind this somewhat
> > ridiculous fig-leaf is some callow sheepish dude who has the password to
> > the listserv.  Very funny stuff in my view.
> >
> >   I can say this: without clear leadership, there will be no clear
> > purpose.  If the person who recently offered up his grandfatherly
> > opinion of the whole thing feels he is in the position of leadership
> > here, he should make that abundantly clear.  Not because I am
> > challenging that leadership, I would just like to know who is running
> > the show if anyone.
> >
> >   I am in touch with Jason and I want to make it clear that it was not
> > my intention to smear him.  I do not make any claims against his
> > character.  He has made job postings on here after our work engagement
> > and I made no attempt to interfere with that.  I asked for a simple
> > thing, and my intention here was to help clear up some confusion.  I
> > will make a sincere attempt to reconcile our disputes.
> >
> >   In a general, I have recently moved out of Phoenix, primarily because
> > I found the work environment here quite lacking.  I could tell you quite
> > a number of stories of my experiences around here[1], but there is a
> [...]

.0000. communication.
.0001. development.
.0010. strategy.
.0100. appeal.