PLUG netiquette (was trolls flamefest)

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 29 08:37:35 MST 2007

Add PLUG reserves the right to suspend or remove any account not in compliance.

Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com> wrote: .
On Tue, 28 Aug 2007, Joseph Sinclair wrote (in part)

> I agree that while PLUG should welcome job postings from legitimate
> sources with some relevance to the group, all replies MUST be off
> list.  The posting is relevant, the replies are NOT. If you have
> information about a particular posting, good or bad, due to personal
> experience, I would recommend a simple "I have worked with this
> employer in the past, please contact me for details", THEN LEAVE IT
> ALONE!  Let people make their own decisions, and if they choose to
> ask you, they may; if they choose not to, that's their choice. This
> is, normally, a civil, reasoned, and remarkably valuable email list.
> Let's all commit to keeping the list clear of any and all vitriolic
> posts, no matter how civil.
>
> ... [snip]

Joseph Sinclair's comments on this matter are very succinct and
helpful.  So how about using this wise counsel as a starting point
to create a reference link on the PLUG website to maintain a very
succinct list of PLUG Netiquette Guidelines, something like the
proposed starter list below?  This list can be added to and revised
as needed and can be referred to whenever necessary if a discussion
thread begins to veer off-course.

(suggested) PLUG Netiquette Guidelines:

1. Let's all strive to keep the PLUG discussion list a civil forum.
2. Keep this list free of any unseemly and/or vitriolic posts.
3. Please keep "Off topic" comments to a minimum and in the subject
   line, please mark all such off topic messages "OT"
4. Job postings that are relevant from legitimate sources are welcome.
5. Any and all replies to job postings *must* be kept off list.
   (Relevant job postings are appropriate. Replies to job postings are not.)
6. If you have useful information about a job posting, good or bad,
   please limit your comments to this: "I have worked with or have
   information about this employer. You may contact me off-list for details."

Keith Smith
(480) 584-4772
PHP Programming