OT:Looking to change careers into telecom

Technomage-hawke technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 22:58:40 MST 2007

On Saturday 25 August 2007 14:01, eculbert wrote:
> Techno. My understanding of that 'position' IS that it
> is sorta NOT Kroger, but some contractor? and as such,
> it is a dead end. It is some contracted security firm
> I believe, not Kroger directly if I understand it
> correctly. Just the 'uniform' doesn't say Security on
> it, but IT IS LOSS PREVENTION, which IS Security.
heh.
they tried that little game. its definitely Kroger (their 'loss prevention
Dept.') and its a non-union position under separate contract from all other
positions at the store level. The paychecks are issued by Kroger, the W-2
shows Kroger. By those definitions, they are Kroger..

> Believe me, Kroger nor any food store would hire a
> 'greeter' just to be friendly!! It is loss prevention
> and as such is security and I believe they hire
> through a 'dummy' office that is a branch of some
> security firm..not sure, but it seems that way.
well, you know what, I am visually impaired (legally blind) and I am doing
that position rather well. sure I have to use a 50+ dioper magnifier to read
the receipts, but that doesn't matter. if someone wants to run, I am not
going to stop them (in fact, company policy says I should just let them go).

They do have a separate security firm they contract to for 'security' (and the
guards have SECURITY stenciled across their shirts) and they do also contract
with various law enforcement agencies for 'off-duty' personnel to bolster
the 'physical presence'.

basically, I get the impression that I am just the token disabled person doing
a simple (A cave man can do it) job and selling an image at that.

As it is right now, I am seriously contemplating trying to get a job as a
9-1-1 operator (I have radio comms, telephone and computer skills that are
all relevant to that position, plus I have a good clear voice and excellent
diction). that has to be better than 'nothing at all'.

Lets face it, I'd rather earn my capability in money (and if I enjoy the work,
so much the better) AND be a productive member of society.

TMH