Memory Questions

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Fri Aug 24 11:36:33 MST 2007

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 11:29:09AM -0700, Jim wrote:
> I tried loading both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 7.04 on my wife's system.
> Both failed because of a memory error.  So I have three questions about
> memory:
>
> 1) what is the difference between ECC memory and non-ECC memory?

ECC memory has built in error correction for soft errors. It's more
expensive.

> 2) is non-ECC and ECC memory interchangeable?

Some computers will accept either. I don't think you can max & match,
though.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/