vmware on fedora 7

'josh coffman' joshcoffman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 09:19:06 MST 2007

Hi all,

  I've got a couple issues that I'm working on with vmware server on fedora 7. First, I'm not tied to server if using the player will solve things.

  Note: guest OS is WinXP; SELinux is off.

  First problem is the networking. My host machine is on wireless. I seem to have trouble setting vmware and the guest OS to use wlan0. It seem to get the settings right, but the guest OS won't get a connection. I can set it to use a local NAT and get internet connection, but then I can't connect to the guest Os remotely. ..which leads to the second problem...

  Another problem is running full screen. I can run fullscreen if the guest is set to a much smaller resolution. If I set the winXP to a normal Res like 1280 or 1440, then I get some error with X not supporting the vid mode when I switch to fullsreen in the vmware server console. Also, the machine tab and status bar are always present.. thought there was a way to hide those.

  I'm trying to set up a dev environment for my windows work and still have linux as my host OS. Running fullscreen is important to me. If I can get the networking right, I think I could just Remote Desktop to the guest OS and work just fine.

  My preferred solution is to get the guest OS to use wlan0 correctly and get an IP on my lan. Then I could remote desktop WinXP and work that way.

  My secondary choice is to get fullscreen working on the vmware console so that I'm running full resolution.

  My last choice is to put XP back on the desktop and dual boot it. I have to have a dev environment.

  So, how do I set up vmware to use wlan0 for guest OS networking? How can I get vmware to run fullscreen with the guest OS resolution at the same level as the host?

-j