Ogg Theora question

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 00:42:39 MST 2007

On 8/20/07, Nathan Aubrey <nathan at paysonlinux.org> wrote:

> On Monday 20 August 2007 03:38:51 pm Dazed_75 wrote:
> > I just downloaded and tried to run the new LinuxMCE video and once again
> > had difficulty with this format.  Here is the msg I get:
> >
> > The filename "LinuxMCE_0704_Demo_Video_2mbit.ogm" indicates that this
> file
> >
> > > is of type "OGM video". The contents of the file indicate that the
> file
> > > is of type "Ogg Theora video". If you open this file, the file might
> > > present a security risk to your system.
> > >
> > > Do not open the file unless you created the file yourself, or received
> > > the file from a trusted source. To open the file, rename the file to
> the
> > > correct extension for "Ogg Theora video", then open the file normally.
> > > Alternatively, use the Open With menu to choose a specific application
> > > for the file.
> >
> > I've tried opening it with Movie Player, MPlayer Movie Player, and vlc
> > no avail.  The above message is from using the Movie Player default
> under
> > Ubuntu 7.04.  Although the message seems to say I could rename the file
> > use an Ogg Tjheora extension, there is no indication what that would be.
> > Besides, although linux now does pay some attention to file extents for
> > file types, one does not expect that to be the default behavior.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Rename it to .ogg and see if that makes a difference. If the file is
> executable Ubuntu will panic. Can you remove the executable bit?
>
> nathan

I did rename it to be a .ogg earlier after doing some web searches.  That
made the default player be the VLC media player but it opens its window and
then closes with no indication of why that I can see.  The permissions have
never included any execute bits.

BTW, just starting the VLC player and using it to open the file also exits
VLC.  Weird!

--

> 01001010 01100101 01110011 01110101 01110011
> 01010011 01100001 01110110 01100101 01110011

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being
either proven right or pleasantly surprised.
  - George F. Will