AzTeC Free-Net might want 'em (was: Re: Two 20" monitors available)

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 23:21:33 MST 2007

On 8/18/07, Tuna <tuna at supertunaman.com> wrote:

> Well if you can't track down that non-profit group, I'll take them.
>
> > I have two 20" monitors available to a good home if anyone is
> interested.
> > They are in north central Phoenix.
> >
> > They are not new.
> > They worked three days ago.
> >
> > Lacking that, I recall that one of the PLUGgers is affiliated with non
> > profit group that offers PC  equipment to those in need. If someone
> > would pass on the contact information I will  get these to them.
> >
> > Harold

If you have not already decided on
   www.KidComputers.org <http://www.kidcomputers.org/>
as suggested by der.hans, you might consider
   http://www.aztecfreenet.org
Yes, they still exist, albeit as somewhat of an anachronism
is this day of GUIs and graphical web browsers, etc.
   They provide (mostly "text-only") (e.g. lynx browser)
free dial-up internet access, for those too poor to afford it,
or (nowadays, mostly) for those who are (e.g.) visually
impaired, and are not too interested in graphics.  Some
folks who are legally blind can still see a little bit, and can
get by with magnifiers that fill up the whole screen with about
1 or 2 words, or something like that.  Others actually have
gizmos that can give them Braille output, or audio "reading"
of the text of (e.g.) an e-mail message or web page.  & of
course, work continues on voice input (I'm not "up" on it...)
    If you are interested in exploring a possible donation
to the AzTeC Free-Net, then please consider contacting
    "Randy Wertz" <rwertz at aztecfreenet.org>
(I am sending him a Cc: of this message) and/or checking
out their web site (but, I do not know if it's up-to-date...).
PS:  Randy (and Harold Michels) - - if some transportation
is needed, I work near N. Central Phoenix, and would be
glad to transport the monitors.
     Tuna: if you need a monitor, then I may be able to
suggest some ideas (contact me off list) about how to
get funding, to buy a (used?) flat screen one.  (This is
partly in light of your dedicated "pioneering" efforts in
regard to the PLUG "W Side Stammtisch") - - (which I
have "so far" not attended, but I do live on the "W Side").
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ
schwartz at acm.org