Who is the best registar?

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Sat Aug 18 09:51:40 MST 2007

eculbert wrote:
> Names!!! I remember McDonald's trying (don't remember
> the outcome nor the year) suing a McDonalds pub in
> Great Britian. I think it was ireland that was over or
> nearly 150 years old over the McDonald's name! Now
> WHEN has the USA mcd served hard stuff and steak's???
> NEVER has and never will.
>
> So names to corp's are worth fighting over!! Even when
> The 'injured' is the new comer on the block!!
>
> I wouldn't be surprised to hear of some new HOTEL
> company suing to stop everyone else  from calling
> themselves a hotel!!! Not in the least!!

Budweiser sued a brewery in the Czech Republic in the town of Budwiez
(I'm sure I have the spelling wrong).  They'd been brewing been for
something like 500 years, but the St. Louis based Budweiser said they
were encroaching on their copyright.  Sheesh.

The McDonald's thing may have happened more than once.  Came up when I
lived in Aberdeen, Scotland.  A lady called Flora McDonald ran a layby
(like a truckstop) somewhere around Dundee called McDonalds.  The
hamburger chain sued her for using her own name, and there was a big
to-do about arrogant American companies.  I heard about it from all my
Scottish friends.

Ah, corporate hubris...

alex